Saturday, January 23, 2010

There's four cheeses on here, Mary!


γειά σου όλοι!

It's around 8pm here on Saturday and this past week has been busy and fun.

We visited the Cycladic art museum on Monday for our Crete class. Cycladic refers to several islands in the Aegean that are in a circular pattern. The art in the museum is gorgeous and there is a great exhibit on Eros (the god of love). We each had to do a presentation on a particular Cycladic object and it was really neat to hear about everyone's object.

That night we had a pizza and game night for all the girls. It was super fun and I played a new game. It is called Phase 10 and it is a card game. Each round you have to get a specific phase in order to move on in the game. If you didn't get that phase, then you had to repeat that one until you got it. It takes a long time to determine a winner.

Tuesday was a normal class day and we talked about our upcoming Delphi trip. One of the girls, Mary, will have her 21s birthday while we are there, so we want to celebrate it by going to the oracle.
We talked about The Iliad in class on Wednesday and it was good. We went over the main cast of characters and attempted to write a good summary of the story, which is harder than you think.

On Thursday we had to do some more paperwork, this time for the police. So, we had to go to the police station and while there we saw a guy get arrested. Awesome. We had both classes, but our last one, Byzantine history, was later than normal (5:30-7:30pm), so my suitemates and I went to a cafe for coffee in between classes. We attempted to order in Greek and our server helped us. I ordered a cappuchino and it was delicious.

John, my Byzantine history teacher, is probably the most engaging and fun teacher I have ever had. I truly enjoy his class and I can't wait for him to be our tour guide in Delphi, which will be in about a week.

Friday was the day for the Λαϊκή (street market) and I got a lot of fresh veggies and fruit like tomatoes, kiwi, and lots of clementines. The market is super cheap and the best place to get fruits and veggies. We also went shopping in Syndagma Square before class and I bought a cute dress. We learned several swear words in Greek class and it was probably the highlight of the class. Later that night, we had another game night where we played more Phase 10 and also KIngs. Both are card games.

Today was a good day. I did some Greek homework, made a grilled gouda cheese sandwich, and chatted with the 'rents. This afternoon, seven of us (4 guys, 3 girls) took a hike up to St George church on Mount Lycabettus. The hike was pretty grueling and it reminded me of The Thousand Steps hike. Oof. But, once I got to the top, the hike was worth the pain and time. The view of the city of Athens was absolutely gorgeous and breathtaking. I almost didn't want to leave, but it was getting really windy and cold.

That's all I have to report now, but καλό Σαββατοκύριακο! (have a good weekend!)

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha, The Thousand Steps. You hated me for that halfway through it.

    ReplyDelete